Wednesday 27 March 2013

In Storm


When I was a kid, I was told that life can give you sunny days and rainy days.
I thought they were talking about the weather.
I thought that by carrying an umbrella, I could shield myself from any pain that would ever come my way.
I was wrong.
What I didn’t know was that a lot of life can be like a hurricane.
There are times when the rushing currents sweep up and overwhelm you.
There are days when the waves leave you battered and bruised
coughing up water
on a sand bar
twenty miles from shore.
Don’t tell me there’s an umbrella strong enough to shield me from that blast.
I know better.
And I know that sometimes life is like a race.
Where you find yourself prepared to sprint to the finish line.
Except sometimes it’s not until the starting gun sounds that you realize you’ve tied your shoelaces together
And you’re running into a nose dive.
Well, I’ve learned something from that too.
You see, when else but when your arms are outstretched to catch a fall are you able to fully embrace life?
Bruises and all.
And I’ve learned that sometimes you just have to take a minute and breathe in the moment.
Because how do you know how much air you will need to breathe to take the plunge into that icy sea called life?
When I was a kid, I was told that it took both rain and sunlight to make a rainbow.
And while I know they were talking about the weather,
True beauty is born of both as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment